The last few weeks I have finally jumped on the weekly food prep bandwagon. I love it! I have (mostly) healthy snacks for a whole week and it makes my life far less stressful. So, here is how I do it without being totally overwhelmed and exhausted at the end of the day.
Step One:
I peruse my pinterest boards on Sunday while I am menu planning (that is a story for another post). I have mine pretty well organized these days. I usually end up picking about 10 recipes at first. Muffins, quick breads, cookies, and crackers are my snack staples.
Step Two:
I narrow down the recipes to 4 or 5. I do this in conjunction with what produce/ingredients are on sale. We like muffins and quick breads with lots of fruit. I check what I have on hand and what I still need and then make my shopping list. I also look for deals on produce that makes a good snack as is. Carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, etc. I also buy extra eggs to boil for a quick snack or as part of a meal.
Step Three:
Shopping day! My budget is pretty low ($30-35) so I try to use recipes that have similar ingredients. Most weeks I do prep the same day as shopping, but I will make it a separate step anyway.
Step Four:
Baking. I use recipes straight from my laptop to save on paper... and because our printer is dead. I arrange baked goods in order of baking temp, lowest to highest. It means I don't have to wait for the oven to cool down in between recipes. As soon as one recipe is in the oven, I start working on the next. I end up with plenty of time to sit and relax between recipes most of the time. Taking breaks is VERY important. You don't want to get burnt out early in the process.
Step Five:
Other prep. I wash all the produce and get it ready to cut. Then I chop everything up, put it in bags or containers, and put it in the fridge. I finally found a way to hard boil eggs that works for me. First, I bring them to room temperature because it makes them easier to peel. That is why hard boiled eggs are the last thing I do. I put them in a sauce pot, cover them (and add a little extra) with water, stick them on the stove, turn it to high, and wait for them to come to a rolling boil. Once they are boiling, I turn off the heat, cover the pot, and set the timer for 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, I run the eggs under cold water until they are cool to the touch. Then they get dried off and put in the fridge.
So, there it is. My weekly food prep in a nutshell. If I have more than 12 muffins or one loaf of quick bread I bag it up and throw it in the freezer for the next week. One moderately tiring day and a week full of mostly healthy snacks for the three of us.
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment