Make your own Countdown Clocks

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Refried Beans

Ok, so, I follow a blog called Budget Bytes. They break down recipes by cost total and cost per serving. I'm taking a leaf out of their book for these refried beans that I made.

Sorry, I didn't take a picture.

1 lb dry pinto beans (sorted, and washed) : $1.18 at Walmart
1/2 of a large onion, chopped: ~$0.30
2 Tbsp olive oil: ~$0.45
Salt to taste
Seasonings to taste

Place the sorted and washed beans in a large, deep pot. Cover with water and add another 3 inches. Bring the water and beans to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1.5-3 hours, the beans are done when they are soft and the skins start to split. It only took 1.5 hours for mine, but my gas stove keeps a pretty high simmer.

Once the beans are cooked, drain them and set aside. Put the oil and onions in a large pan, saute them until they are translucent, or for more flavor, brown them a little. Add the beans and about 1/2 cup water to the pan and smash them with a potato masher or anything else that you have on hand. Once they are well smashed, add salt and seasonings. Always taste, taste, taste! When they taste delicious and are nice and smashed, they are done. I added a little fresh cilantro for an extra kick.

This recipe makes at least 2-3 cans worth of delicious, non-additive filled refried beans. I will never buy canned refried beans again!

1 comment:

  1. Love Budget Bytes! My fav recipe is her crockpot taco chicken bowls

    ReplyDelete