Make your own Countdown Clocks

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Starry, Starry Night

Vincent van Gogh is my favortie artist. I love his works. About 18 months ago I bought The Letters of Vincent van Gogh. It has been slow going, since I have not had as much time or energy to devote to reading as I would like. That being said, I have tried to renew interest in reading by going back to this wonderful collection.

I was reading a letter that van Gogh wrote in July of 1880 and a paragraph really struck me as profound.
But I cannot help but thinking that the best way of knowing God is to love many things. Love this friend, this person, this thing, whatever you like, and you will be on the right road to understanding Him better, that is what I keep telling myself. But you must love with a sublime, genuine, profound sympathy, with devotion, with intelligence, and you must try all the time to understand Him more, better and yet more. That will lead to God, that will lead to an unshakable faith.
As soon as I finished reading that paragraph, I thought, "wow, he really understood the pure love of Christ." And even if he didn't, he sure knew how to write about it. Just some deep thoughts for your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment