Make your own Countdown Clocks

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In Loving Memory

I forgot to post this a while back...

In honor of Halpert, the 2001, Dark Gray Saturn SL1:



Though his body will be picked to the frame by needy car owners, his spirit will always remain with us.



I owned Halpert from the Summer of 2007 until July 17, 2009. He was a ghetto car... especially at first. No door panels, loud exhaust, and some other things led my dad and I to the junk yard in search of scraps. We found a dome light, a spare tire, and even a few interior upholstered things to make Halpert more presentable. There was still one door without a panel and no cigarette lighter in the end, but he was a good little car.

I got my license and drove Halpert up to SVU within the same week. He shuttled me back and forth to and from campus, Walmart, home, and any where else. We paid more for a new transmission than for the car itself when the transmission went out.

Halpert ran well and got great gas mileage until July 2, 2009. As I drove home from work with a co-worker behind me, I had to stop behind a man who was turning across traffic. I was hit from behind. I and my co-worker were, and are, ok, but Halpert did not fare so well. His trunk was a mess. He was towed to a shop here in PTC and they began to assess the damage. It would have cost more to fix the car then the cost of the car and what we paid for the new transmission.

I received a phone call on the 14th that State Farm would be declaring my car a total loss. On the 15th I went to the shop and cleaned out what remained of my belongings in the car. That was difficult. We drove away from Halpert for the last time. Today, at 12:00pm I signed my name on the title of my car and the State Farm agent took it. I no longer own Halpert. This note is a way for me to let out the emotions that I am feeling over the loss of my first car.

Halpert never disappointed me. He was a good car. My friends and I would make fun of him and yet we loved him anyway. So many good memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment