Make your own Countdown Clocks

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Let the Planning Commence!

I am so bad about updating these things!

Short update: I am engaged!!!

Long update:
Casey and I decided a while back that we wanted to get married. The only problem was timing and money.
Timing: With Dad leaving for Afghanistan in late June we had a quandary. November felt right, but we had to make sure that it would be kosher with the Army. We still have no definite word on that, but we should know when dad gets there.
Money: Casey has none. No money = no ring. The only reason that we were not engaged before now is because I did not have a ring. We decided that we could wait until the summer for it to be official.

The Story:
March is the month of proposals here at SVU. Mariel and Erik got engaged on the 20th and Darla and Chase got engaged on the 21st. I was feeling pretty crappy at that point. It was obnoxious to me that all of them could wear shiny rings and plan stuff while I felt left out and anxious for my own. I, of course, expressed these frustrations to Casey. He in turn talked to Kory and Rachael about his own frustrations. They told him that they thought we deserved to be engaged just as much as anyone. This lead to a fun little idea.

He asked me if I was ok with a borrowed ring until he could buy me one. I told him that I was ok with waiting, but to use his best judgment. He decided to take the ring from Kory and Rachael so that he could give it to me. I knew that he had the ring, but I had no idea when or how he would propose.

There was a dance on the 27th of March. Casey had rehearsal before the dance and I went down with my amazing roommate Mo! We danced for a bit and then he got out of rehearsal. About halfway through the dance our song, She's Got a Way by Billy Joel, came on and we started dancing. He sang a little bit to me. He was shaking pretty bad and I figured that he was about to propose. When he got down on one knee in the middle of the dance floor I was still totally taken by surprise. "Rachel, will you marry me?" He said with the box in hand. I took the ring and hugged him. "Nothing would make me happier." was my response. I have never uttered a truer statement. We hugged and spun around for what seemed like forever. Finally I handed the ring back to him and said, "are you gonna put that thing on me or what?" He shakily slid the ring onto my finger and we hugged and kissed again.

After that everything is kind of a blur. Everyone was cheering, the DJ announced what had just happened, and 50 million people hugged me. Out in the hallway I called my mom and a few others. Liisa, my maid of honor, was really happy to hear that it was finally official. After a few pictures, a bunch of us left to go to Leehi's. It was so great. I still can't believe that I am engaged!

So again, we are planning on November 21. We will be getting married in the Washington DC Temple. There will be two receptions, one in Northern Virginia and one in Georgia about a week later. Here is a little wedding info:

Colors: Cranberry and Sage

Registries: Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond(nothing on them yet). We might also register at Amazon.com.

My Dress: Casey saw it before we started dating... oh well. The colored panel and sash will be sage green. I want a white, fur trimmed cape to wear out in the cold VA air.

Casey's outfit: Tux with a cranberry vest and tie.

Bridesmaid Dresses: They will be cranberry... that is all I know so far. I am also considering white capes with fur trimmed hoods for the bridesmaids too. These will be sewn by my mom.

Groomsmen: Tuxes with cranberry vests and ties.

That is about all I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey yo! It was actually the 21st for Erik and Mariel and the 22nd for Chase and I. cause Chase and I got engaged two days before our 6 month

    ReplyDelete